History of Chicago Graffiti
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lala.
Banana Skinny

Azores
161 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  5:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is for the people and the kids that dont know anything about chicago Graffiti History!!!!!

I. Old School to Middle School:
Pioneering Era ('72-'78)
The Old School ('79-'82)
The Middle School (a.k.a The drum machine era, '83-'85)
Here we find the happenings in Chicago at a minimum. As the titles of the eras suggest, the culture had just begun to grow. The focus of attention was on New York and a few neighboring cities. More than anything it was the breaking crews in this era that dominate the scene. They became the foundation of the Chicago scene with

many B-Boy crews were already making a name for themselves; D.T.R (Down To Rock, Krazy Krew, Floormasters (the crew stretched from the North to the South side), TopTen, Out To Rock, Freeze Crew, The B-boys, The Freshboys, Windy City Breakers, Hypnotic Rockers, Los Ninos, etc... It was many of the breakers who would later go on to become some of the key Graf writers in the city. By '82 the Graf scene was very active with several known crews hitting up all sides of the city; CTA, ABC, MPC, TCP, ACW, CAR CREW, MOSA, IAC, OTR, GGC, GBC (w/Crazyman), CISA, GAS, BTB, FCA, AIM, GMC, SMOG, & The HITMEN. From there, things slowly began to take shape...

^^ back to top

1979 New York Graf writer, Nick Salsa, moves to Chicago and starts bombing the city and becomes recognized as the first local writer. Later he starts the first known Chicago Graf crew; C.T.A.
1980 Casper-"Groovy Ghost Show " 12" (first Hip Hop release from a Chicago artist although it's not generally known that it was a Chicago based recording)
1982 Graf Writers Slang & Trixster started getting their names up and out there.

Key innovator, Caution, known for being the first to paint Chicago scenery into his backgrounds (other artists usually drew New York backgrounds based on their influences) also hits the scene.

1983 Plee Fresh hits Chicago from New York and helps pioneer the Chicago Graf scene. He meets up with Stane (a.k.a Akbar) and Kaos to form T.C.P (The Crowd Pleasers). As he gets more involved he sets his goals, "I wanted to see Graf everywhere. I wanted to bring Hip Hop music to Chicago. My goal was to make Chicago like New York"-PLee Fresh

On The Fourth Of July the C.T.A crew becomes the 1st to Bomb the Ravenswood Yard and hit virtually every train in sight.

Robert Cliemente School (Division/Western)-starts having regular Graffiti classes for their students. The teachers gave lessons and regularly brought in various guests from varying crews.

University of Chicago station WHPK introduces their first Hip Hop radio show. The founders, K-III & Patrick Moxy (also the founder of Payday records) initially started the show with a dance & rap format, but the popularity of rap was heavily reflected in the requests and eventually they became strictly rap.

1984 The Muralists, painters Roberto Valedez & Ray Patlan, held regular art fairs on 18th Street and would invite Writers (ex: Zore, Fess a.k.a Freezario, Nick Salsa, Caution) down to do pieces. Making them among the first "outsiders" to help the culture by not just giving them a place to paint, but supplies as well.

Chicago's first organized Graffiti Art competition at Harrison Park

Chicago's first Graffiti Art Show, "Rapid Enamel" at the Renaissance Society at the U of C Bergman Gallery, Cobb Hall.

1985 "Rappin Duke" 12" (The "duh-ha-ha-ha" was undoubtably widely known). However, again it's not generally recognized as a Chicago release. It fit nicely in this time of Hip Hop paying homage to T.V. shows & Hollywood as The "Duke" dropped rhymes in his best John Wayne voice and let us know about Hip Hop cowboy style.

Chicago Bears-"Superbowl Shuffle" 12"(Although some may wince at the thought of the Chicago Bears being "pioneers" of Chicago rap, it certainly can't be overlooked).

Chicago Graffiti writers unite for the first time for an"All City Writers" meeting in Cabrini Green at the YMCA. A plan set in place by key Graf writer, Warp.

Northwestern's WNUR 89.3 captivates the Hip Hop generation on Sahis little brown one. ay afternoons with "The All Rap Party" with DJS Larry Lar & Sweet M.D.

meniz2society
Gold Dot

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PEACE2DA BROTHERS THAT BUILD THE OLDSKOOL&NEWSKOOL!!!!!
BTB,DCU,ABC,MARS,CTA,CGA,CBA,AD,CAD,GTC,ACW,NBC,TCV,ORG.RATS(THAT ROCKED IT BACK IN'87 IN DA NORTHSIDE DOUGLAS)CAB,TNS,SAW,MUL,TCK AND 4 DA ONES THAT I 4GOT PEACE!!!!
Go to Top of Page

meniz2society
Gold Dot

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ALSO4GOT FCA,X-MEN,SQUAD1,3XD!
Go to Top of Page

meniz2society
Gold Dot

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  11:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PUMA@MOSA WAR BACK IN '86 STRAIGHT PIECES NOT ONLY TAGS!!!!
Go to Top of Page

KOOLAIDE KILLA
Pink Dot

Vatican City
2023 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  6:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you ment CISA was out in 82 but CISA didn't form til 86. A crew that was made up of 2 crews who were at war with each other (TUFF BOYS "Tha Ultimate Fresh Force" & Hitmen Bombing Crew) Tha first Indiana crew that entered the CTA battles as well

s3 Skwad CISA Tribe TPA Familia....... Prince Omen74
Go to Top of Page

lapaloma
Gold Dot

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  8:15:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit lapaloma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lala - hey, is it alright if I cite some of this in what i'm doing?
Go to Top of Page

NICKSALSA1
Gold Dot

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  05:12:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit NICKSALSA1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey LaPaloma, LaLa is MIA....You can get the complete article at GALAPAGOS4.COM and tell them I sent ya. Peace and happy writin in da '08!!!

LIVE TO PAINT, PAINT TO LIVE
Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC
Administrator (NYC Fat Cap)

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  10:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever see an AM CHICAGO show hosted by Oprah Wimphrey in which she brings in Harry Beleafonte to promote those LA breakers and has the windy city breakers to perform ???

http://projectlogan.tumblr.com/

Edited by - FLASH ABC on 01/31/2008 10:13:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  7:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FLASHABC

Did anyone ever see an AM CHICAGO show hosted by Oprah Wimphrey in which she brings in Harry Beleafonte to promote those LA breakers and has the windy city breakers to perform ???

FLASH DID YOU SEE IT? CAUSE I SAW THE ONE WITH PLANET ROCKERS WITH THE GIRL CATCHIN WRECK.

Go to Top of Page

lapaloma
Gold Dot

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  02:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit lapaloma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
done and done. Thanks Nicksalsa1. If, that is your Real name. heh
Go to Top of Page

FLASH ABC

USA
7597 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit FLASH ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sy

quote:

FLASH DID YOU SEE IT? CAUSE I SAW THE ONE WITH PLANET ROCKERS WITH THE GIRL CATCHIN WRECK.

RISK SHOWED IT TO ME HE HAS TONS OF VIDEO FROM SOME HIP HOP SHOWS BASED OUT OF CHICAGO.

http://projectlogan.tumblr.com/
Go to Top of Page

NICKSALSA1
Gold Dot

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  03:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit NICKSALSA1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LAPALOMA...U are welcome. We are here to share. Hit me at nicksalsa1@yahoo.com if you need anything else....Peacceee!!!

LIVE TO PAINT, PAINT TO LIVE
Go to Top of Page

SEEN-ABC

USA
3900 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  09:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit SEEN-ABC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
let me add my two cents into this

everybody wants to be the first one and everything all I know me and ABC crew that me and b boy b in 1983 we did our little neighborhood bombing like Nick Salsa CTA but we took it one step further than their crew we just didn't hit one yard we hit several yards and we made ABC to be known as a graffiti crew and we came out and in newspaper up in the mid eighties damage but I haven't seen cta crew do the damage we did and they never in no newspaper articles or in the news?but they were other Crews like CAR ACW MPC TCP that came out in newspaper articles I also remember PLEE and Stain and Shaggy TREXTER and SLANG and B Boy B TAKE2 and DRIP ABC when we made the Feds then we made Mars MAD TAC crew for Other Kids to join started meeting other writers like BTB SMOG crews and other crews to on the southside of Chicago even though there were other new crew do on the Northside of Chicago like CAB Puma and X-MEN and other Crews getting a taste of the movement that we all working on to make are mark in Chicago all I got to say if it wasn't for the old school the new school wouldn't be here that's my two cents

"IT TAKES COURAGE & IMAGINATION TO SET NEW DESIGN TRENDS-TO CREATE THE TRENDS ONESELF RATHER THAN FOLLOWING THE FLOW!"

Edited by - SEEN-ABC on 09/25/2016 11:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sy

Cyprus
3968 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  2:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sy

quote:

RISK SHOWED IT TO ME HE HAS TONS OF VIDEO FROM SOME HIP HOP SHOWS BASED OUT OF CHICAGO.

DAM RISK GOTS ALL THE SH*T....I USE TO TAPE ALL THAT STUFF IE. PLANT ROCKERS ON OPRAH(AM CHGO.) RSC ON LETTERMAN THE OPENING TO WELCOME BACK KOTTER, BRONX ZOO AND THE EQUALIZER..........

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Chicago Graffiti © ABC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000